Phyllo Pizza with Feta, Basil, and Tomatoes
Ian specifically requested this dish for his birthday dinner, so I know that it at least passes his test!
1/2 c shredded part-skim mozzarella
1/2 c crumbled fat-free feta cheese (you can use any desired fat level you wish)
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
1 tbs chopped fresh oregano or thyme (whatever you have on hand)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
10 (18x14") sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
cooking spray or olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced plum tomatoes (regular or cherry tomatoes work fine too)
1/3 c finely sliced green onions
1/4 sliced fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Combine first six ingredients in a bowl
3. Cut phyllo sheets in half crosswise (*note, some brands are already cut to this half size). Take five layers and place on greased baking sheet. Cook phyllo dough with cooking spray or brush on oil. Sprinkle with a layer of cheese mixture. Add two more layers of dough and repeat process. Continue about 3 more times or until desired thickness. On top of last layer of cheese arrange sliced tomatoes, followed by onions and basil. Top with an extra sprinkle of mozzarella and feta.
4. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes or until golden.
Edamame Risotto (adapted from this Real Simple edamame recipe)
2 tbs olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 c Arborio rice (Italian rice)
1 c dry white wine
4 1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth (vegetable broth may be used as well)
1 can drained, sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 c shelled edamame, thawed and warmed slightly in microwave
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tbs fresh basil, sliced
1 c grated parmesan
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes
2. Meanwhile, in a second pot, heat chicken broth through
3. Add rice to onion and cook, stirring constantly for two minutes.
4. Add wine and mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
5. Stir in broth, 3/4 c at a time. After each addition, stir the rice occassionally until broth is absorbed. This entire process should take approx. 25 minutes. Rice should be very creamy.
6. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Top with another sprinkle of parmesan.
Yogurt Marinated Chicken with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Mushrooms
Ingredients (for chicken)
1/2 c non-fat plain Greek yogurt
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 tbs lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
4-6 chicken breast cutlets (depending on size)
Ingredients (for veggies)
1 tbs olive oil
1 sweet potato, thinly sliced
1/2 lb button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 lb cremini/baby 'bella mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp fresh thyme
1 tbs balsamic vinegar (red wine or sherry vinegar may be used)
1. Combine all the marinade ingredients into a bowl and coat chicken cutlets. Marinade in fridge for 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
2. Heat oven to 450. Place the potatoes, mushrooms, and thyme on baking sheet. Toss with olive oil. Roast, tossing veggies once, for approx 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.
3. Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Wipe off extra marinade from the chicken and place in pan. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Serve with veggies and a side salad.
Here are some other links to some other yummy recipes!
So far, I have made this recipe exactly as it follows, but I think adding fresh blackberries and/or toasted walnuts or almonds might be in order next time!
This salad I actually play around with a lot, depending on what I have in my kitchen. I generally use feta instead of goat cheese, red onions instead of shallots, walnuts instead of almonds, etc. Use what suits your mood!
I hope you enjoy all these! :-)