Friday, April 15, 2011

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In

Here's my lastest answers to the questions posed on Wife of a Sailor's blog.
1. With PCS moves happening every few years, do you take the time to paint and decorate your home? This is my first Permanent Change of Station - PCS - move with Ian (we met when I was already living in WA) but even though we will only be here for about six months I still decorated. I did not paint however. This was the first real home we have had together and our first chance to pull out all of our wedding gifs! So you bet your booty I decorated! Plus, in my opinion, you need to make your home your home, no matter how long the stay.  I do however believe in not going overboard...especially this short term. We still have things in boxes and we have barely attempted to tame the yard. But overall it still feels like home.

2. If you could live in any home from a television series, which would it be? I am going to cheat here and choose a home from a movie. Okay, two movies. My absolute dream home is from Father of the Bride. Not far behind is the home Susan Sarandon lives in in Stepmom. Both of these are very traditional, very warm and inviting. Full of soft fabrics, warm lighting, lots of windows, big kitchens, grand staircases, etc. Plus I love the back of the Father of the Bride home, with the big patio and lilacs framing the yard. And just look at the big porch on the Stepmom home. Sigh. They're just wonderful. Click on the links below the pictures for more photos of the interiors of the homes as well.



3. What inspired you to start your blog? My main inspiration was how much I love to read my friends blogs! Be it reading their yummy recipes, exciting family news, or their survey answers, I seem to browse through several a day....so I felt like giving it a shot myself. Plus I was lucky to have some friends encourage me to join the blogging world as well. Another motivator was being far from family and many friends, I  thought this would be a good way to give updates on our latest adventures and happenings. Lastly, I missed writing. I used to write many stories as a kid and was always involved in journalism or would even write for a local non-profit I volunteered with. Being jobless right now I realized just how much I missed putting my brain and vocabulary to work!

4. What is the weirdest thing you have ever seen on base? Weird might not be the best word, depending on your own beliefs, but perhaps the most surprising thing I have seen actually happened on post here a just a few weeks ago. (Side note, for those who may not know: In the Army world, a base is actually called a post.) I was walking into the health center and what do I see? A transvestite! A male clearly dressed as a female. Wig and all. :-) Generally Army posts have the most macho-looking, clean-cut males in society so this sighting definitely made it feel like we weren't in such a little bubble. Plus, I was jealous (s)he was able to pull off those white jeans so well!

5. Which historical figure (politician, writer, artist, scientist, actor, etc,...) would you like to have dinner with?  Alright, I'll be honest, I hate these type of questions. How on earth am I supposed to decide on just one person out of all the fascinating people in the world?! Too much pressure! But given a gun to my head, on this particular day, I supposed I would choose Paula Deen. Not only would I have her make me the dinner, I would love to experience her warm, loving personality and talk to her about her battle with agoraphobia and raising her two sons on her own. She clearly is a woman of strength who has been through a lot in her life and transformed into a mogul, inspiration for others, and still seems so down to earth! Okay, I might be watching Food Network as I write this, and with the possibility of us moving to the Savannah area soon, my brain is definitely geared that way. But there really is so many people I would love to talk to! Jesus, Princess Diana, Jackie O, John Candy, Lucille Ball, oh I could go on and on...so I'll leave you with the immortal words of Paula Deen - here's wishing you love and best dishes from our home to yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment