Friday, August 12, 2011

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In
Happy Friday! I haven't done one of these in a while so I thought it was a good time to get back to it! For more info, check out Wife of a Sailor's blog.

1. The best thing my parents taught me to do when I was a child was: Always, always, always say please and thank you! I can remember my dad pretending he was deaf until the "magic" words were uttered. It was frustrating at times, but well worth it now! I have to say, it drives me batty when I hear young children ordering their parents around (don't even get me started on the behavior I see on Toddlers and Tiaras!) and I know without a doubt that sort of behavior would NOT of been tolerated in our household! On that same train of thought, I cannot thank my mom enough for always insisting that we send thank you notes for everything, no matter how big or small. I know I always appreciate it when I receive one, plus I just think it is the polite and gracious thing to do!

2. However, one thing I wish they did differently was: Wow! This is a toughie! I would say teach my brother and me some household chores that aren't generally common for our gender. I, to this day, have not one clue how to even start a lawn mower! I know I will make Ian teach me though because when he deploys it will be my job (What's the average cost for a lawn boy these days? hehe). I can bet, like my husband, my brother probably can't cook much unless it comes out of a toaster! Hopefully when we have children we will mix it up a bit. Although I do have a great example in that my dad traditionally does most of the ironing. I think Ian should follow in that tradition :) Sorry, Mom and Dad - they made me pick something!



3. One thing I have always wanted to try but haven't is: Skydiving! I have always wanted to go but haven't yet. Plus I don't want to go just for the sake of going, I want it to be for a special celebration or at least some place really incredible and beautiful!

How incredible would this be?!

4. One thing I never thought I'd try but have is: Bungee jumping! I always wanted to skydive but never wanted to bungee jump. Weird right? Doesn't make sense to me either! But when I was in South Africa, the majority of the people in our group were going, and it is the world's highest bungee  (216 meters) so the competitive side of me knew I had to do it. And it was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!! The world goes silent after you jump and it is the most breathtaking, exhilarating (terrifying) experience! I highly recommend it!

Me! 

The bridge we jumped from

On a high afterwards! 

5. If I could give my 16-year-old self one piece of advice I'd tell myself: When you go to college, get a degree for something you can do anywhere since you will be marrying an Army boy and will have to move all over!

3 comments:

  1. Your bunjee jumping pictures look amazing!! I don't think I could ever do it :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things my husband and I are trying to make sure we do is teach our children manners. My parents were huge on manners as were my husband's so it's a must for us.

    BTW...I mowed the lawn for the first time EVER last week...My parents had me do the inside chores with my mom and my older and younger brothers did the outside with my dad. But it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to teach myself how to turn the lawn mower on last spring. I just couldn't handle the overgrown grass one more minute. My nice neighbors came running outside to persuade my 8-month pregnant self that it might not be a great idea. Too bad - I was determined. A woman on a mission can do anything! :)

    ReplyDelete